Traffic Issues

All traffic citations written in Stephenson County are processed by the Circuit Clerk’s Office. The circuit clerk also processes citations written for ordinance and conservation violations. Citations are received by the clerk and are entered into a computer system with a court date that has been previously specified by the arresting officer.


Pay by cash, cashier’s check, certified check,  money order, or credit card. No personal checks are accepted. (Do not send cash through the mail.) Mail payments to

Shanelle Bardell
Clerk of the Circuit Court
Stephenson County Courthouse
15 North Galena Avenue, 2nd Floor
Freeport, IL 61032

For your convenience and to add a contactless payment option, we have added a secured payment drop box out in front of the courthouse that is under 24-hour video surveillance.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Traffic Department, call 815-235-8266 and press #1 at the prompt.

Now Available: Pay Traffic Citations Online via 

Make traffic payments here: E-Pay Search

Traffic Court Location

All traffic hearings are held at the

Stephenson County Courthouse
15 North Galena Avenue, 2nd Floor
Freeport, IL 61032

Court Diversion and Supervision

Traffic citations do not always require a court appearance. The officer will indicate on the face of the ticket whether a court appearance is necessary. When a traffic citation is issued and does not require a court appearance, the offender has three options in which to dispose of the ticket:

Option A
Plead guilty and pay the fine in person, by mail, or online without going to court. (No personal checks.)

Option B
Plead not guilty, request a pre-trial or trial and appear in court.

Option C
Plead guilty, receive court supervision and attend traffic school without going to court.  Mail in your completed and signed "Plea of Guilty"/Application for Court Supervision Form and the completed the Traffic Safety Program Registration Form.

Not everyone is eligible for (Option C). The offender is only eligible to receive court supervision without going to court if:

The offender is 18 years of age or older and has not had court supervision for any violation committed within the previous twelve (12) months from the date of the current ticket.

The offender is willing to plead guilty on the current traffic ticket, request court supervision and pay the prescribed fines, costs and fees for such a violation.

This ticket will be reported to the secretary of state as court supervision, not a conviction. This means that

  1. The offender completed the required traffic school course, and
  2. The offender does not receive any additional traffic citations during the supervision period as specified on the court supervision order.

Get Notifications
Stay up to date on what`s happening in your county.

Sign up for Notifications