Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licenses

How can we obtain a marriage license?
  • You must be getting married in Stephenson County.
  • Both parties need to be present. Applicants are encouraged apply by 4:00 pm due to processing time. Please come to the Stephenson County Clerk’s Office, 50 W. Douglas St., Suite 500, Freeport, IL.
  • You must show some type of identification with your birth date on it, preferably a driver’s license or a state ID.
  • The fee is $55.00 payable by money order, cashier's check or cash.
  • You must apply for the license at least one day in advance and no more than 60 days in advance.
  • No blood test is required.
  • Information required by both parties1. Your dates of birth, state of birth, social security numbers and occupations.2. Your parents full names (including mother’s full maiden name) city and state of both parents if living, and the states in which the parents were born.3. If either party has been previously married, that party will need to know the exact month, day, and year along with the county and state of the dissolution or death of the previous marriage.

If the bride or groom is a minor (16 or 17 years old):

  • Both parents are required to be present with identification and will have to sign a consent form.
  • If one parent cannot be located, then the other parent will need to sign an affidavit attesting to that fact.
  • A bride or groom under 16 years of age is not eligible to apply. However, a judge can issue a court-ordered marriage.
What if the bride and groom want to get married by a judge?
  • To get married by a judge, you must make an appointment by calling 815-599-8415 or 815-801-8305.
  • You must pay a $10 fee to the circuit clerk prior to appearing before the judge.

Get Notifications
Stay up to date on what`s happening in your county.

Sign up for Notifications