- You must be getting married in Stephenson County.
- Both parties need to be present. Due to processing time, applications can be completed in our office from 8:30am to 4:00pm. Please come to the Stephenson County Clerk’s Office, 50 W. Douglas St., Suite 500, Freeport, IL.
- You must show some type of valid identification with your birth date on it, preferably a driver’s license or a state ID.
- The fee is $55.00 payable by money order, cashier's check, cash, or credit/debit card (subject to applicable service fee.)
- You must apply for the license at least one day in advance and no more than 60 days in advance.
- No blood test is required.
- Information required by both parties:
- 1. Your date of birth, state of birth, social security number and occupation.
- 2. Your parents' full names (including mother’s full maiden name), city and state of both parents (if living), and the states in which the parents were born.
- 3. If either party has been previously married, that party will need to know the exact month, day and year, along with the county and state of the dissolution or death of the previous marriage.
If the bride or groom is a minor (16 or 17 years old):
- Both parents are required to be present with identification and will have to sign a consent form.
- If one parent cannot be located, then the other parent will need to sign an affidavit attesting to that fact.
- A bride or groom under 16 years of age is not eligible to apply. However, a judge can issue a court-ordered marriage.
- To get married by a judge, you must make an appointment by calling 815-599-8415 or 815-801-8305.
- You must pay a $10 fee to the Circuit Clerk prior to appearing before the judge.