Registration of Notary Commissions
- Applications are available at the Secretary of State’s Office or you may click here to download a fillable PDF. A Notary Application Checklist and the Notary Handbook are also available for your use by clicking on the name. After downloading and printing the application for a commission as a notary public, please complete and mail the application as instructed by the Secretary of State.
- The Secretary of State will send the notary commission certificate to the Stephenson County Clerk.
- Upon receipt, our office will notify you that you must register your signature either by coming in to the County Clerk’s Office OR by sending your signature through the mail. Within 30 days of the notification, you must bring your notification with you to our office OR you must mail your signed notification to our office. If you elect to come in person, the fee is $14.00. If you elect to send it through the mail, the fee is $19.00.
- Should you elect to send in your signature, return the signed notification with a check or money order payable to the Stephenson County Clerk to the Stephenson County Clerk’s Office, 50 W. Douglas St., Ste. 500, Freeport, IL 61032, and your certificate will be mailed to you.
- If you elect to come to our office to register, your certificate will be given at that time.
For more information, please call 815-235-8289 or come to the County Clerk’s Office in the Stewart Centre, 50 W. Douglas St., Suite. 500, Freeport, IL 61032.